Indiana Dairy Facts
- Dairy cattle in Indiana consume 110 thousand tons annually.
- Dairy cattle consume 9.3% of all soybean meal fed to livestock in Indiana.
- Indiana ranks 14th in dairy cattle.
- In 2010, Indiana’s 169,000 dairy cows produced 3.4 billion pounds of milk.
- Indiana is home to more than 1,600 dairy farms with an average of 102 cows, and all 7 major breeds of dairy cows are represented.
- Indiana ranks 2nd in the nation in low-fat and regular ice cream production. In 2009, the dairy industry contributed $450 million to the Hoosier economy.
Source: Informa Economics -2011 data